Organic Garden Tour
Join us for the 2nd annual SOUL Organic Garden Tour
Saturday, July 25th, 2009, 10am-4pm
Come celebrate summer with The Society for Organic Urban Land Care as we explore a diverse selection of 6 local organic
Edible, Flower, and Permaculture Gardens
Demonstrations at each site including:
Bokashi & Effective Microorganisms
Sound Healing with Didgeridoo
Aerobic Bin Composting
Permaculture Design Principles
All gardens within biking distance in
the Fernwood-Oak Bay area
($10 for SOUL members)
Tickets available at:
- Dig This (Oak Bay & Market Square)
- The Greater Victoria Compost Education Centre
A sneak peek at the 6 featured gardens:
1. This public garden was designed to provide free, fresh organic food, conserve and recycle resources, create native bird and insect habitat, and generally improve the local quality of life. Didgeridoo sound therapy will be showcased.
2. Organic gardens don't have to be tidy! Full of fruits and veggies, this garden is more like nature intended - wild, diverse, healthy. We will be showcasing good, old-fashioned composting techniques.
3. Think you need a big space to grow food? Think again. The amount of food that comes out of this tiny space is incredible. This year, the homeowner is applying high quality aerobic compost tea, which will be demonstrated during your visit.
4. Permaculture is a method of designing sustainable human settlements that provide food, habitat, and ever-increasing abundance. This garden is a shining example of home-scale permaculture.
5. Flowers, fruit trees, vegetables, berries, combined into a beautiful garden right in the front yard. The back has a nice example of how to plant under a Garry Oak and a Cedar. Worm bins - incredible for composting - will be exhibited.
6. Organic gardens do not have to be messy either! This garden is tidy and beautiful and a good source of organic food. We will be demonstrating effective microorganisms and bokashi.